January 11, 2013
December 14, 2012
Topics: Discuss the latest trailers for Superman, Star Trek 2, Angry Birds movie coming in 2016, Video Game Awards results, Cool Nerdy Homes & inventions, Gail Simone fired from Batgirl, Wreck-It Ralph, Rise of the Guardians, and The Walking Dead.
- Star Trek 2 Trailer
- Real Life Star Trek Tricorder
- Interactive maps on NASA Worldview
- Ada Lovelace: [ First Lady of computer programming | Ada Lovelace Day ]
- Spike TV Video Game Awards Results
- Next Assassins Creed Game May Be Set in Brazil
- Captain America Themed Xbox
- Man of Steel Official Trailer #2
- Is there going to be an Angry Birds Movie?
- Nerd Dream Homes
- Makey Makey
- Gail Simone Fired from Batgirl
December 7, 2012
Topics: Special guest, Tatiana G. King, joins us for some epic nerdery! She is known for her pinpoint tech commentary and as a Co-Host on WeNerdHard. The “Grand Duchess of Tech” joins us to discuss her love of gadgets, favorite shows, her super secret plan for world domination and what she’s up to next! Later in the show, we discuss video games as art, Microsoft opens new video game studio, Steam gaming in your living room, X-Mas Songs for Nerds, Is Nerd an universal language, Ebay be scamming, and The Hawkeye Initiative
- MOMA says video games are art
- Microsoft opens up new video game studio in Vancouver
- Young Justice Legacy Video Game Trailer
- Valve Aims to move Steam gaming into living room
- DonateYourAccount May Continue
- Nerd X-mas songs
- Nerd is a universal language
- Think of Selling on Ebay? Think Again
- The Hawkeye Initiative
November 30, 2012 2 Comments
Article Cross-posted at Shiny Things Go Here
Unless you have been hiding under a rock, there has been an influx of articles about the lack of women in the gaming industry. It started on twitter when Luke Crane, the games project specialist at Kickstarter, asked on twitter: “Why are there so few lady game creators?”
It started a twitter conversation using the hashtag #1reasonwhy where women in the video game industry gave honest and open accounts of the microaggressions and outright sexism they experience in the community. The hashtag #1reasonmentor has spawned from that discussion giving women the opportunity to find mentors in the video game community.
I, for one, am at a crossroads where I’m excited that this conversation but a little dismayed. This topic concerning women and the video game industry has been brought up so many times with the same conclusions. Where is the point that women and allies can stop trying to convince the industry there is a big problem.
I told myself that I wasn’t going to talk about this anymore. I told myself that I wouldn’t bother trying to convince others how rampant sexism is in the gaming industry.
I told myself I stop being interested in programming only because of disinterest. I told myself that my interest in a career in the gaming industry was a passing fantasy.
I never bother exploring possibility that part of the problem was a lack of a safe, open, and engaging community outside of my personal friends. I didn’t want to admit to myself that my need for safety determined my career. I didn’t want to think about my need to avoid all of the issues the #1reasonwhy hashtag laid out. I may not have been fully aware of what define sexism and misogyny at that time but damn I didn’t feel it.
I wonder would I still feel the same way if I stuck to being a programmer. I wonder why if it’s the reason why I’m so slow to start gaming again. I say “wonder” cause even now a part of me don’t want to fully admit it.
I convinced myself that I suck at programming, that I hate it, & I’m more suited to other things. The fact that despite having look at piece of code in the last 10 years and having ability to interpret it easily I still feel inadequate.
It’s not easy being a woman in a tech industry especially in any area that has been “known” as male dominated. You are relegated as a “niche”, “a novelty” or “something pretty to look at”. It’s never about what you can do but how you look or how you received your special magic golden ticket to the big boys table.
No matter how strong-will you are having to prove yourself over and over again takes a toll. The mere act of trying to ignore the snide looks when walking into your “Intro to C++” class. The crumbling wall of calm you try to instill in your soul when hearing sexist comments while you’re trying to play a MMO.
We keep talking about the symptoms. Women feel the symptoms. We all know there is sexism in gaming industry. I refuse to debate anymore. I refuse to entertain devil’s advocates. I refuse to continue proving the symptoms and making the march toward personal remedies.
Cause honestly, I’m tired of talking about it.
November 30, 2012 Leave a comment
Topics: The Hobbit, Syfy’s new Robot Punching Show, Women and Gaming, and our discussion of the book, The Casual Vacancy
- Hobbit Animal Cruelty
- Wyatt Cenac is Leaving the Daily Show
- Hobbits are the reason we have to wait until 2014 for Series 3 of Sherlock
- Syfy has series with robots boxing. Either super cool or super reason they shouldn’t have canceled Caprica
- Bad Sex Writing Award
- Your brain on video games
- Why Games With Female Protagonists Don’t Sell, And What It Says About the Industry
- #1ReasonWhy on twitter answers Luke Crane question, “Why are there so few women game designers?
November 23, 2012 Leave a comment
Topics: Misfits, Breaking Bad, 666 Park Avenue, Whitney, 2 Broke Girls, Grand Theft Auto V trailer, Lenovo Multimedia Remote, terminator prosthetic arm, Feminist Frequency Interview on TV concerning harassment in gaming and Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2
- Grand Theft Auto V trailer
- Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901
- Terminator arm most advanced prosthetic
- Television Interview about Harassment in Gaming with Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency
- Do You Like Bananas?
November 16, 2012 1 Comment
Topics: Special guest, Erika Peterman, joins us for some epic nerdery! She is the co-founder of Girls Gone Geek and contributor to CNN.com’s Geek Out! blog. We take some time to talk to Erika about her first nerdgasmic experience, favorite tv shows, superman and wonder woman in a relationship, comic books, and fandoms we don’t quite understand. Later in the show, we discuss black girls does awesome things, another Twilight fanfic gets a book deal, Fearless Defenders comic book, World War Z trailer, Father hacking Zelda for his daughter, new monthly Amazon Prime Program, 3D photo booth, Arrow and The Walking Dead.
- First Black female chess master
- Four African Teenage Girls Invent a Urine Powered Generator
- Pat Robertson responds to 50 Shades of Grey…it’s what you expect
- Another Twilight fanfic gets a book deal (a two book deal) Happy Novel Writing Month!
- Marvel’s Birds of Prey NOW!: Fearless Defenders (featuring female heroes from Fear Itself)
- Fans of the Walking Dead MIGHT want to check out the World War Z Trailer
- Father Hacks Zelda For His Daughter, Makes Link A Girl
- Amazon Offering Monthly Prime Program for $8/month
- Monetary compensation for Nexus 7 in Europe
- 3D photo booth
November 9, 2012 Leave a comment
Topics: Here is an extra episode for our audience since we were not live on Election Night. We discuss video games, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, Bruno Mars, Dexter, romance novel thievery, and other stuff we don’t remember
November 2, 2012 Leave a comment
Topics: Evil Dead Remake, Joss Whedon trolling, YOMYOMF short film Youtube Channel, Nerd Costumes, Website featuring upcoming horror movies, Disney buying Lucasfilm, Google Nexus updates, Community, Mockingbird Lane (The Munsters remake special), Frankenhole
Main Topic: Review of The Perfect Host
- Evil Dead Remake
- Zombie Apocalypse is Nigh?
- Suggestions for Nerd Costumes?
- Upcoming Horror Movies site
- Artist Mike Boon poster design with iconic horror characters and movie monsters
- YOMYOMF: Silent Terror Short Films featuring some of Asia’s top directors
- YOMYOMF: Boo-tube Halloween (Existing or New Videos with a Halloween theme. It also includes Silent Terror Shorts)
- Disney bought Star Wars/Lucasfilm
- New Nexus Offerings From Google
- Community Premiere Date!
October 26, 2012 Leave a comment
Topics: Upcoming video games, Samsung Galaxy Note II, T-Mobile merges with Metro PCS, rumors of Prometheus sequel and potential Star Trek show starring Worf. Beware of spoilers on Doctor Who, Supernatural and The Walking Dead.
- A Female Cosplayer experience at Comic Con
- Samsung Galaxy Note II available at Sprint soon
- Minecraft Lego Set.. How Meta is that?
- T-Mobile merger with Metro PCS
- Spray on Genitals
- Rumors of Prometheus Sequel
- Captain Worf??
Video Games This Month
- Resident Evil
- Bio Shock 3
- Dance Central 3
- Medal of Honor
- Kill Zone
- Assassins Creed
- Lego Lord of the Rings